Bhutan Festivals Journey
with wangdue & thimpu festivals
Experience a fascinating glimpse into the ancient culture of Bhutan on the Bhutan Festivals Journey. Witness the colour and drama of mystical dances at Wangdue and Thimpu, the two most popular Tshechus (religious festivals) performed by both monks and the village men. The festivals commemorate the birth of the great Saint who introduced Buddhism to the Kingdom.
ON SALE: US $ 2,495*
8 NIGHT tour
DEPARTS: paro, bhutan
28th September - 6th October 2017
* Price based on twin share accommodation. Single room supplement available for US$45 per night, subject to availability.
Find out approximate trip price in your own currency here
- International airfare to Bhutan. (This can be arranged for you. Please contact us for details).
- Stopover hotel if needed
- Comprehensive travel insurance. Click here for an insurance quote.
- Additional activities e.g. massage, hot stone bath and some spa activities
- Alcoholic or soft drinks
- Tips for guide and driver
- Transport by private mini bus
- All meals, mineral water, tea and coffee
- 3 nights luxury accommodation in the Naksel Boutique Hotel & Spa
- 2 nights in the capital, Thimpu
- 2 nights in a resort near Punakha
- 1 nights in a heritage lodge in the Haa Valley
- All entrance fees at monasteries and museums
- Bhutan visa, Bhutan government tourism royalties and local taxes
- English speaking Bhutanese guide
This 8 night escorted tour takes you to the best of Western Bhutan so that you can really soak up the rich culture and stunning scenery. Begin your journey in Paro, waking up to views of the Himalaya from your luxury boutique hotel. Cross the scenic Dochu La Pass, offering stunning panoramic mountain views, to Punakha, the ancient capital of Bhutan. Here we base ourselves for 2 nights at nearby Wangdue Phodrang where we enjoy the merriment and revelry of Wangdue Festival and explore the area.
Drive a short distance to Thimpu, one of the world's smallest capital cities for Thimpu Festival and sightseeing before travelling the next day to the picturesque Haa Valley for a scenic hike. Return to Paro, and climb to the iconic Tiger's Nest Monastery perched on a cliff over a stunning valley. Our Bhutan Festivals Journey showcases the best of Bhutan in a short space of time.
Arrive in Paro, Bhutan: You will be met at the airport by your guide and travel to your hotel just outside Paro. Visit Paro Dzong, the National Museum and the famous Nyamai Zam Bridge. Altitude: 2,250 m Overnight: Paro.
Paro to Punakha: Travel from Paro to Punakha via the Dochu La Pass (3,140m). Visit the temple of fertility in the afternoon. Driving time: 4 hrs Altitude: 1,310 m Overnight: Wangdue Phodrang.
Wangdue Phodrang: Spend the day at Wangdue Festival. Overnight: Wangdue Phodrang.
Thimpu: Drive to Thimpu and explore the city. Visit the Folk Heritage museum, National Library and the School of Traditional Arts and Crafts. Driving time: 3 hrs Altitude: 2,350 m Overnight: Thimpu.
Thimpu: Attend Thimpu Festival. Visit the Memorial Chorten, Buddha Point, and see Bhutan’s national animal the Takin at the Takin reserve. Overnight: Thimpu.
Haa: Drive to Haa via the Cheli La Pass at 3,810 metres. Explore the picturesque Haa Valley. Driving time: 3-4 hrs Altitude: 2,700 m Overnight: Haa.
Paro: Return to Paro and visit Kyichu Lhakhang and Drukgyel Dzong. Driving time: 2 hrs Altitude: 2,250 m Overnight: Paro.
Paro: Tiger's Nest excursion. Overnight Paro.